2.01.2011

Current Crave

So I strolled into one of my favorite cupcake joints in town one fine Sunday morning, Crave. Along with their second location they opened in September, they also introduced a new flavor: Dulce de Leche that I've been meaning to get a taste of.




If you savor the flavor of caramel you will adore the sweet goodness of dulce de leche. The silky caramel-like center gives a nice, sweet kick to the overall taste of the cupcake. I would definitely double-fist these.




Dulce de leche meaning "the sweet of milk" is derived from slow heating of condensed milk which differs from caramel that is made of sugar, corn syrup, cream or milk and butter. Many may mistaken the two to be the same. As the water of the milk evaporates during the heating process, the mix thickens and voilĂ  dulce de leche, the caramelized form of condensed milk.




As most of you know, I am in love with New York City. The city is full of endless things to do and delicious experiences. I anticipate annual visits to my favorite domestic destination. During my last trip there in the fall, it was a definite "must" to pick up goodies from Beard Papa's, a cute, little shop that serves cream puffs. If you haven't tried the treats here you should definitely give it a taste. They come in a variety of flavors: strawberry, vanilla, chocolate, green tea...and they'll throw in weekly specials to spice things up.



So the special flavor of the week during our stay happened to be: Dulce de leche. Not only was the puff delicious, the dulce de leche center made the treat to die for! Beard Papa's originated in Osaka, Japan in 1999. I am pretty stoked about my trip in April to visit Little Cupcake Lady in Japan. She has been deprived of cupcakes but definitely has an array of good eats that make up for the lack of.

Spicy Cupcake Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment