8.03.2010

Spreading the Word

If you haven't had a lick of nutella by now you are totally missing out. It was the summer of '94; we took a family trip to Europe. I had my first taste of the creamy goodness on a slice of toast in Brussels, Belgium. As it melt in my mouth i thought to myself: where have you been all my life?

Nutella is a hazelnut spread that contains skim milk and a touch of cocoa. It can be found in just about every supermarket next to pb&j. It pairs well with so many things from toast to crepes to cupcakes. Much props to you, Mr. Ferrero, for sharing such an indulgent creation!

My addiction to cupcakes started with Crave coming to Houston back in 2008. I decided to give it a try to see what kind of thrill my sweet tooth would get.
From that day forward, my life was changed, for the sweeter. I walked into the shop and what a sight it was. They offer a nutella cupcake on Wednesdays and Saturdays [yes, I have a forever mental note of that] which I rank as my #1 flavor from Crave, with strawberry coming at a close second. It has a very unique taste. The hazelnut flavor is consistent throughout the whole cupcake. I have not come across any other locally, and forgive me if I'm harsh, I refuse to settle for wanna-be's that are plain vanilla or chocolate with the hint of flavor slapped on top.



So I started playing with recipes this summer after graduation with so much free time on my hands. My first experimental recipe: flourless chocolate cupcake, which I will blog about at a later time. Nutella being an all-time fave, I decided to trial a hazelnut cupcake recipe and add a twist of my own. I had to incorporate the nutella into it somehow, so I created the frosting with nutella. There is still room for tweaking on consistency of the frosting, but the cake was perfect! Small pieces of hazelnuts are generously savored in every bite and sprinkled on top. Modifications of the frosting are in the works, but if you're an anxious, die-hard nutella fan as I am, I will gladly share the recipe.


Spicy Cupcake Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment